Monday, July 8, 2013

Mustard-Onion Pork Cutlets

[I found this "draft" blog when I was transitioning from a PC to a Mac. I was so confused it looks like I abandoned ship! Here's the original, from, like, December 2009!]

I am finally up and running on this new Mac and feeling a little more like I know what I'm doing. The transition from PC wasn't so bad but it does takes a little while to get comfortable doing the same thing in a completely different way. I have been cooking and baking and taking lots of pictures; now I just have to put everything up! I'm hoping in my absence Blogger has made some progress in making things easier for users. Here we go...

[Yes, Hiba, they've made Blogger a LOT easier. Wow. This is great!]


Tonight [remember, this was some night in December 2009] we bring you dinner from a few nights ago. This recipe was in a recent issue of Cook's Country and it caught my eye because it fits in my lifestyle these days: fast, reasonably healthy, and no "deal breakers"...you know, those pesky steps or pieces of equipment that just make you say, "no way"...


Serves 4

(If you can't find thin cutlets, buy them thicker and pound them out.)

Ingredients:

5 Tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves sliced thin
2 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
thin-cut boneless pork cutlets (about 1 1/2 pounds), about 1/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper
1 onion, halved, sliced thin

Let's get the mise-en-place going: 


Slice the garlic.

Combine oil and garlic in small bowl.


 Microwave until garlic is softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. 


Reserve 3 tablespoons infused oil... 


... then whisk broth, vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, and thyme into remaining oil mixture.



Slice the onions.

Pound the cutlets.

Season the cutlets.

Heat 1 tablespoon infused oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of cutlets until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and tent with foil. Repeat with additional 1 tablespoon infused oil and remaining cutlets.


Heat remaining infused oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered...


...until browned, 6 - 8 minutes.


Stir in oil-broth mixture and any accumulated pork juices ...


...and cook until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.


Top pork with onion mixture. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment